Our latest batch of 3D printed parts have arrived from the printers. This time around we've got the GI Joe / Action Force Rapid Fire Motorcycle / RAM Cycle kickstand, more Battle Tank guns and some test runs of some new or improved models and some fifferent materials.
First up is the Shadowtrak missile, this time in black acrylic (left) rather than the standard sintered plastic (right). As you an see the acrylic plastic has a kind of waxy coating that needs to be cleaned off.
Next up is an improved version of the mines for Tripwire or the Z Force Minesweeper. The first attempt at modelling them wasn't quite right, there was not enough detail in the finished print. After a few tweaks we sent this to be printed again. I'm much happier with these and will see what they look like painted up and varnished.
Next up is the SAS Panther steering wheel. Last time we printed it waaaaaaaay too big so this is a test version at (hopefully) the correct scale.
The wheel turned out correct, maybe a millimeter too small. It looks good in place though:
The next models are probably the very first 3D models I ever built and I've been tweaking and finessing the model for months trying to get it to print correctly and fit together nicely. This is the missile rack for the Z Force APC! The original features a split pin to hold the rack in place securely whereas I decided to build our version with a solid pin for ease and strength. It also makes removing the rack much easier with less chance of breaking the pin. The rack tilts and swivels like the original and has 4 holes for the missiles to slot in to.
Next up is another Action Force part and this one is a brand new model. Here's the test print for the Q Force Swordfish missile arm, a piece that's often missing or broken (like the original piece in the photo below). I'll be painting and sealing this to get an accurate Q Force grey finish. Look out for this one to be added to the shop soon. Why not join our mailing list and be the first to know when new stock is added?
Here's how the part looks painted up to (almost, grey paint was a little bit too dark) match the original part:
Our final test print is for a part that's almost impossible to get hold of at a decent price: chin guns for a vintage Star Wars AT-AT! This model was printed in solid white plastic to check the model's printability and the fit on the AT-AT before we go in to production in transparent plastic.
For those of you wondering about our largest ever print mentioned in the last blog post... it didn't turn out quite as we hoped. It wasn't a disaster but it wasn't a complete success and fixing the model is taking longer than anticipated. Hopefully we'll be able to reveal it in a future 3D printing post soon.